Sunday, February 7, 2010

It's all Double Dutch to me!

Double Dutch
Language that cannot be understood, gibberish, as in 'They might have been speaking double Dutch', for all I understood. This usage dates from the 1870s. Source: Dictionary.com

So I’ve made it thus far through life (let’s say over 30 and less than 40) knowing only two languages. English (not the Queens English), and Australian slang, (which I like to practice regularly). It was only a few years ago when all I needed to know was my native two languages.

Life has changed. I’ve changed. I find myself living in a foreign land with a Dutchman, a lion and a lamb. The lion can pronounce G’s with such guttural enthusiasm she sounds like a native cheesehead. You should hear her rattling off groen, goed zo and goedemorgen, I can hardly believe she is my child.

Before I boarded that jumbo jet for a 23 hour flight with 2 children, a potty, and the oddest assortment of luggage you have ever seen, I was assured I didn’t need to learn Dutch to live in the Netherlands. On arrival I was pleased to discover the Dutch for the most part speak English perfectly.

I’ve been here just on 6 months now. The first couple of months I absolutely loathed going shopping and was terrified of opening my mouth. As time has progressed I’ve become happier to engage with others in my travels, mostly in English, with Dutch, hello’s, thank you’s and good bye’s. In fact ‘dag’ is one of my favourite words, cos I can even say it.

I’ve started some Dutch classes, and even listening to what my partner is saying to the kids. That said, I still get completely overwhelmed at times when someone tries to talk to me in Dutch and I smile a lot like the village idiot and nod my head. Hopefully the smile negates the lack of response and they just think I’m a happy mute rather than stupid.

My Dutch language skills are slowly improving. Sometimes it’s a only few minutes after a person has spoken to me that I’ve figured out what they’ve said. Only yesterday a man on a tram was telling me how sweet the lamb was even though he was screaming like a banshee (the lamb that is not the man). I didn’t think I understood because really it isn’t that common for someone to find a hysterically crying baby sweet.

I’ve started to try and engage with other parents from the lion’s peuterspeelzal class. She attends a special class for kids coming from non Dutch families and most of the parents seem as awkward as me because Dutch is not our native language.

If you are coming to The Netherlands, for a week, a month or even three months, I agree with my Dutchman that you do not need to learn Dutch. But if you want to live here for longer and integrate into society, life will be far easier (at least I hope so) if you learn the language.

In the last week I’ve made a commitment to myself to have a red hot go at learning Dutch. I’m declaring this here and now in a public forum to hold myself to account. The only problem is, half the time it all sounds like Double Dutch to me.

Note: It took approximately 8 handfuls of hagel slag (giant sized chocolate sprinkles) to write this post

2 comments:

  1. Dear Lizzie! I loved this post! And the last sentence when you confess the handfuls of hagelslag that helped you to commit yourself to learning dutch! Hilarious!
    I started with dutch classes in October 2009, when Onno and I decided that I was coming to The Netherlands with a Visa. In order to apply for that visa I was asked to sit for the Inburgering Toest in Buitenland. My progress started quite slow, i never thought I would ever could speak some dutch.
    After a couple of months, studying EVERY DAY in Argentina mostly on my own on websites, I can already make myself understood in simple dutch, and I'm not THAT paralize when I have to go shopping. I'm taking classes once a week now and from September on I will prepare myself for NT2.
    You wrote this post in February, I hope by now your dutch has got a little bit better. I totally agree with you on how important it is to speak dutch when you LIVE in The Netherlands.
    Greetings from Zuidoostbeemster! Leti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leti, Well done, good on you studying every day, if I did that my Dutch would be much better. Mijn Nederlands is heel slecht. The good news is I've learnt heaps since February, and my confidence has grown a lot in communicating, particularly for basic boodschappen transactions. I'm also for the most part, understanding my 3 year old daughter who speaks perfect Nederlands without an accent. I think this learning Dutch thing is going to be an ongoing process :-).

    ReplyDelete